10 Strongest Indica Cannabis Strains of All Time
Cannabis Indica strains grow fast and yield large harvests making them a favorite of home growers. The CBD percentage in Indica makes them a favorite of those seeking medical benefit. And, Indica’s sedating properties make them a favorite of the couch-lock users.
Chances are Indica strains have been favored for a long time before commercial pharmaceuticals pushed home and natural remedies to the back burner. The strongest Indica strains have powerful effects on anorexia, anxiety, chronic pain, insomnia and other sleep disorders, muscle spasms, and more.
10 strongest Indica strains (in no particular order):
1. God’s Gift is a 90% Indica dominated strain with a solid 1% CBD to offset its reputed 27% THC. The THC more typically tests at over 18%, but Washington’s Buddy Farms claims its God’s Gift scores a record-breaking 41% grown organically indoors. It carries the grape flavor and aroma of Granddaddy Purple with a touch of citrus.
God’s Gift — also known as Barney or Grape God — won the 2015 Bio Cannabis Cup in Spain. If your dispensary carries God’s Gift, you had better check the labeled THC content. Only the most experienced users can handle a 41% experience. But if you can find it at 20% to 27%, the THC potency will hit fast and leave you giggling and silly. It won’t be long before that euphoria slips into a dreamy, hazy, painless sedation. You shouldn’t try this during the day unless you’re preparing for bed.
2. Strawberry Banana or Strawnana is a hybrid from Banana Kush and Bubble Gum with a 70: 30 Indica: sativa ratio. Much preferred because of its sweet fruity tastes, it packs a potent 27% THC. Its effect creeps up on you to a happy euphoria before dropping into a warm tingling full-body buzz.
Some veteran users try it during the day, but Strawberry Banana is better for late evening because it’s likely to make you ready for bed. This richly flavored strain is a multiple award winner:
2nd Place Best Indica Concentrate – NorCal Cannabis Cup 2018
1st Place Best Indica – 2018 Alaska Cannabis Cup
1st Place Best Medical Indica Concentrate – SoCal Medical Cannabis Cup 2016
2nd Place Best Indica Flower – Michigan Cannabis Cup 2015
1st Place Best Sativa Flower – Michigan Cannabis Cup 2015
Strawberry Banana’s potency helps users cope with anxiety, arthritis, chronic pain, Crohn’s Disease, depression, fatigue, loss of appetite, PTSD, and sleeping disorders.
3. Purple Kush originated in landrace Hindu Kush and Purple Afghani, as pure an Indica as you might find. It’s a beautiful flower studded with purple, pink, and green. With as much as 27% THC, this is strain for the experienced user as bedtime approaches. This fast-growing plant yields up to 9-ounces per plant, a High Times Top 10 Strain in 2006 and 8th Place in the 2016 Karma Cup competition.
Purple Kush is a common favorite among chronic users because of its mind-altering rush, its broad medical benefits, or both. This is not for the casual user, should not be used during the day, or before operating machinery because of its numbing, relaxing, sedating, and near hallucinatory experience. Purple Kush users report help with appetite, chronic pain, nausea, and more. But given the strain’s potency, you might control your dosing by consuming Purple Kush in baked goods or gummies.
4. Royal Cookies brings you the taste and aroma of homemade cookies. The 80% Indica contains approximately 23% THC and negligible CBD. Use this strain and the happy and sociable euphoria will slide into a full body relaxation.
Bred from Royal Gorilla and Royal Cookies, it is a favorite because its effects are moderate and non-intrusive, one effect melting into another. And, if you like the purple genetics, you might try Purple Afghan Kush, Purple Trainwreck, or Deep Purple.
5. Kosher Kush (Jewish Gold or JG) tests at 20% THC or higher and holds multiple awards: High Times Cannabis Cup’s Best Indica in 2010 and 2011, as well as Best Strain in 2011. Kosher Kush is a great party option that floors everyone with the giggles. Novice users will be asleep well before the party ends, so don’t let them drive home.
Earthy and faintly spicy, this Kush also won the High Times Medical Cannabis Cup in 2012 for its reported long-lasting effects on anxiety, chronic pain, depression, nausea, PTSD, stress, and sleep disorders.
6. G-13 is a 70: 39 Indica-dominant strain with THC strong effects pressing near paranoia. The THC usually tests in around 20%, but it has also scored at 27%. A clear and focused euphoria leads to a deep and lazy lethargy. This is a cloned strain, and True G-13 is very hard to find.
Pungent and potent, G13 has been used as analgesic treating chronic pain, joint pain, migraines, and muscle spasms and cramps. G-13 is a parent to G-13 Haze, a winner in 1st Place Cannabis Cup at the 2007 High Times Cannabis Cup.
7. Granddaddy Purple is 70% Indica with THC hovering around 20% or reaching a 27% high. A hybrid from Purple Urkle and Big Bud, it is even fruitier and sweeter than other Purples. Granddaddy Purple buds took the Denver High Times Cannabis Cup for Best U.S. Indica in 2015.
GP also has a 1% CBD content to mute the psychedelic effects with medical benefits. A dreamy haze will lead to a sleepy calm for treating insomnia, stress, and anxiety. Most use this before bed and not during the day. Novice users must titrate their way up to this strain, one they might make their regular choice or before they move on to Purple OG.
8. Bruce Banner #3 offers The Hulk experience with THC reaching 30%. This is sativa-dominant at 50: 40, but the effects are all Indica. Heir to OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel, Bruce Banner has long been a favorite
Earthy yet sweet, its creative euphoria slowly moves into relaxing calm that might relieve anxiety, depression, fatigue, insomnia, and stress while boosting your appetite. The sativa content balances the THC, so this won’t leave you couch-locked or paranoiac. Bruce Banner #3 ranked first place in the 2013 Denver US Cannabis Cup for “Most Potent Strain.”
9. The White is 85% Indica and 20-28% THC, properties it owes to its unknown breeder-held genetics. It smells and tastes of Florida pine woods and soils. Customers use The White for its creeping cerebral euphoria before slipping into a deep sleep.
The White strain’s not for daytime use, but users claim relief from the pain and stress that prevent restful sleep. The major negative side-effect is a profound case of the munchies.
10. Barbara Bud in Indica-dominant with 10% to 19% THC. That makes it a moderate powerhouse on this list. However, its relatively high levels of CBD make it a pleasant and therapeutic choice.
It’s a Canadian breed from Shiskaberry and an Afghani Indica landrace. Hints of earth float under its tropical fruit flavor and aroma. Effects start quickly with a tingle at the eyes and temples that disappears into relaxation to the core. It’s a mellow but lasting effect you might try after dinner for an early and solid night’s sleep. This strain’s awards include:
1st place 2014 Treating Yourself Expo
2nd place – Karma Cup Toronto 2014,
2nd place – DabaDoo Cup Amsterdam 2014
Today’s best Indica strains
This list does not include Northern Lights, Hindu Kush, Girl Scout Cookies, Afghani, and other popular choices. It is a collection of popular strain, some new and some old, on a market looking for stronger potency. Given the high potency of some, you’ll want to work your way up to the stronger strains. If you are looking for medical benefits, you’ll want to try the more moderate strains.
Recreational and Medical Marijuana News, Articles and Information: 10 Strongest Indica Cannabis Strains of All Time
The 7 best indica strains
Most people see the word “indica” and think Ambien. For so long we’ve equated the effects of indica cannabis strains to being couch-locked. And while it’s true that some indicas may tuck you in for the night, it’s even truer that you can’t just generalize an entire third of weed plants under one single high.
There are thousands of indica strains; some may feel relaxed and happy, others may feel drowsy and tired, some even make you feel the complete opposite. It all depends on your body, and knowing your body is knowing that finding the right strains is up to you. Here are seven of the best indicas to get you started.
Hindu Kush is a pure indica from the Hindu Kush mountain range between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Its compact buds usually have a vibrant white shine to them due to the stark coat of trichomes on top of light green flowers. An original landrace strain, Hindu Kush is believed to be one of the first plants to be used for hash.
Hindu Kush terpenes usually hit the nose with a sweet and piney aroma, while the smoke can have sweet, floral, and pine flavors. Effects-wise, most people expect to feel a calm and relaxing cerebral high that pairs great with the ending of a long day on your balcony. Hindu Kush is a great suggestion for anyone seeking a long-lasting euphoric experience.
Just as old as Hindu Kush is the famous Northern Lights. Its influence on the world of indicas can’t be stated enough. This Afghani descendant is known for having resinous buds and skunky terpenes that fill the room when the plant is cured. You can expect sweet and herbal flavors when you smoke it.
Equally as potent as it is stinky, most consumers report a hard-hitting body high that’ll leave you on stuck mode for the remainder of the evening. If you’re looking to get stoned and run through a sack of gas station snacks, this — or its popular phenotype Northern Lights #5 — may be the one.
Granddaddy Purple is that classic purple flower that completely changed the game of weed aesthetics. It’s a cross of Purple Urkle and Bid Bud that first came to life in 2003. Though plenty of purple flowers existed before it, GDP was one of the first to become a household name in weed culture. No budtender hears “purp” without immediately thinking of this strain.
Granddaddy Purple is world famous for its deep purple buds that give off sweet, grapey, earthy terpenes. Picture if you were to buy a bag of grapes and roll them in a blunt, that’s smoking Granddaddy Purple.
From legendary breeder DJ Short comes DJ Short’s Blueberry, or simply Blueberry, another indica-leaning strain with Afghani (and Thai) genetics. It has compact green buds stacked with an assortment of purple and red-coloring that make it as pretty as it is flavorful.
As its name suggests, Blueberry smells and tastes like fresh fruit from your neighborhood Farmers Market. Whether consumed as flower or concentrate, those berry terps are shining through. Most consumers feel a relaxed, happy, and slumped-over type of body high after consuming Blueberry. If you’re looking for a night cap that appeals to your taste buds, check out this strain.
9 LB Hammer
9 LB Hammer is a heavy indica that hits your head just like that: a 9 LB hammer. A cross of Gooberry and an OG Kush varietal, 9 LB genetics usually produce dense flowers with dark green colors and a blended coat of white trichomes. On the terpene side of things, you can expect 9 LB hammer to smell earthy and somewhat chemmy, while tasting mostly like the former.
Where this strain lacks in terps, it more than makes up for it in effects. Most people feel a heavy head high that slowly creeps into the body, causing you to starfish in bed for the next couple of hours.
Personally speaking, 9 LB hammer doesn’t make me sleepy, but it does produce a super duper stone that makes me want to never move again.
For the last fruity suggestion, it was a toss up between Grape Ape or Forbidden Fruit. And I had to go with Forbidden Fruit for three reasons:
- It’s one of the most beautiful cannabis flowers on the planet.
- The terpenes are usually pretty consistent no matter who grows it.
- Last week I smoked it with my grandma and she was blown away by how good it tasted.
Forbidden Fruit was born by crossing Cherry Pie with Tangie. The result is a staunchly purple flower, covered in a flurry of orange hairs, that gives off an extremely tropical guava-like aroma. When consumed, it’ll taste like you’re smoking a bowl of fruit cocktail, and the effects are much lighter than people associate with indicas and purple strains. Instead of sleepy and down, you’ll feel a relaxing euphoria that makes everything a little funnier.
You can’t talk about indica cannabis strains and not mention the lochness monster of the weed world: G-13.
Legend has it that G-13, or Government Indica Strain 13, was a U.S. Government experiment where the intelligence agencies (CIA, FBI, etc.) collected all of the “best” and “most potent” indicas from all over the world, then bred them together to create the Megazord of all cannabis strains. The alleged reason we can all go to a dispensary and purchase this super secret government mission of a strain is because some disgruntled government agent stole a cut of the plant and leaked it to the public. Chances are that this story is not true, but it’s okay to believe it anyway.
What is true is that G-13 will absolutely knock your socks off. Regardless of how you consume it, both G-13 flower and oil usually makes people feel hungry, relaxed, and sleepy, i.e. stoned out of their minds. Its intense high might not put you to bed, but it will make you stare off into space for the next few hours as you wonder why some people don’t have middle names.
Featured image by Dre Hudson/Weedmaps
Some may feel relaxed and happy, others may feel drowsy and tired, some even make you feel the complete opposite.