How To Make A Honey Infused Cannabis Tincture At Home
Home remedies using infused cannabis are gaining popularity due to their effectiveness and their ease of use. Combining honey with specially prepared cannabis makes a sweet and powerful tincture.
Honey and cannabis are two of nature’s gifts that have long played a part in our development as a society. They have proven to be useful for both recreational purposes as well as relief of minor ailments. Together they make an incredible tincture.
The use of honey as a medicine goes back as far as the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. While Egyptian hieroglyphs often depict images of the bee, the earliest illustrations of beekeeping date back to 7000 BC. It was the discovery of Egyptian records that showed how widespread the collection of bees and harvesting of honey had become. It was used as a healing aid for sores and ulcers, and consumed in syrups and elixirs for general health. These practices spread to the Greek Islands where Hippocrates himself combined honey and other ingredients to make topical ointments. As science revisits history’s embrace of honey as a medicine, society is once again looking to harness its beneficial properties. Combining honey and cannabis will allow you to access their healing properties in this sweet and easy to make tincture.
Honey itself is an incredible creation of nature. It has the ability to sustain life, containing all of the essential elements required to survive. Honey has been found to have incredible anti-inflammatory qualities and is able to kill most bacteria and pathogens. The US Food and Drug Administration actually approved a honey based product for use in treating ulcers and skin abrasions. Needless to say, honey has a rich history of medicinal use.
While studies are currently underway, many nations have already acknowledged the historical use of cannabis for its medicine-like properties. Some places like Colorado in the US, allow for the purchase of cannabis under the direction of a doctor. It is believed that the THC and CBD found in cannabis hold the keys to its potential for use in medicine. Many consumers claim that cannabis helps with a range of ailments from chronic pain to nausea. Some claim to use cannabis in order to get off of harmful prescription drugs. Learning to use cannabis for homemade remedies is a safe and effective way to find natural relief.
PREPARING YOUR CANNABIS
If you want to eat your cannabis, or the goodies you make from it, then you must put your herbs through a process called decarboxylation. Without getting all technical, the decarb process involves converting the non-psychoactive THCA into its psychoactive offspring, THC. It’s not as hard as it sounds. All it takes is a little heat. In order to achieve this, you need to slightly cook your weed. As always we’d recommend a Pyrex dish, but a metal baking pan will do.
1. Set your oven to 120°C. Make sure to pre-heat your oven until the desired temperature is reached.
2. Evenly spread your cannabis around your pan. Depending on how potent you want your tincture, use at least one ounce or more. Make sure you are using shake or finely ground bud.
3. Cover your baking pan with aluminium foil
4. Place your baking sheet in the oven for 30 minutes.
That wasn’t so hard, was it? Even you can be a cannabis chemist in your kitchen with having to get the degree. Since you are going to be using this newly decarboxylated cannabis for your tincture, you shouldn’t have to worry about storing it. If you do decide to put some way for later, always use an airtight glass jar. Now that you have your cannabis ready to go, let’s move on to making the tincture.
INFUSING YOUR HONEY
You will need:
- Cheese cloth
- A slow cooker
- Decarboxylated cannabis
1. Take your decarb cannabis and wrap it in a thick or double wrapped cheesecloth. Fasten your cloth so as to keep your cannabis inside. You can do this by twisting or tying the ends. What you are really looking to do is make a large weed teabag.
2. Place your carefully fastened weed-bag into your slow cooker. Depending on how potent you are looking to make it, you can add anywhere from 500g to 2kg of honey. The less honey, the more potent.
3. Place your temperature dial to low. You don’t want to cook your tincture too high as it will boil and burn, leaving you with a hot sticky mess.
4. Depending on how hot your slow cooker gets, you will want to let your honey and cannabis satchel simmer for anywhere from 4-8 hours. Stir occasionally to get good coverage. Check on it periodically to make sure it is not boiling. If it is, you can turn the slow cooker off for a short while.
5. After the tincture is done cooking it needs to cool. Feel free to leave your savoury creation overnight to ensure it is cool enough to handle.
6. After it has cooled, remove your cheesecloth bag of decarb cannabis. It is going to be fully saturated so you will want to squeeze the remaining honey back into your slow cooker.
7. Pour your tincture into as many airtight jars as it takes.
8. Once your tincture is complete and jarred up, be sure to refrigerate it for long term storage.
Now that your cannabis infused honey tincture is complete, you can add it to coffee or tea or any recipe that you like. You will enjoy the soothing effects of the tincture any way you consume it. For more information on cannabis home remedies, check out our article on cannabis tinctures.
Now that you’ve whipped up a fresh batch of cannabis-infused honey, it’s time to put it to use. Of course, you could always add it directly to warm drinks and food items—or you could create some honey sticks for long-term storage and easy administration! Cannabis honey sticks are super easy to craft, and make the sweet extract very portable and simple to use. Simply snip off the top of the packet and squeeze the extract into drinks or directly into the mouth when on the go.
MAKING CANNABIS-INFUSED HONEY STICKS
Making honey sticks really is simple. All you need is the following:
• Cannabis-infused honey
• Air syringe
• Clear straws
• Heat sealer
Apart from the heat sealer, everything on this list is cheap and easy to come across. If you already have a heat sealer at home, that’s great! If not, you can purchase them for fairly cheap, and they have a whole bunch of other uses besides making honey sticks.
1. To begin, you’ll need to turn on your heat sealer and remove several straws from the packaging. Place one end of each straw onto the element of the heat sealer and close the lid. Depending on the model you’re using, the sealer may make a noise for several seconds that indicates the process is complete, or may require you to press a button once the lid is shut.
2. Next up is the filing process. This can be done using pipettes or a squeeze bottle, but using an air syringe will ensure an easy and far less-messy process. Poke the end of the syringe into your jar or bottle of cannabis-infused honey and extract the desired quantity. Inject the extract into the open end of each straw.
3. Now that your straws are full, you’ll need to seal the honey extract inside. Place the open end of each straw back onto the heating element and repeat the process detailed above.
All done! It’s as easy as that. Now you’re prepared for rapid and sweet doses of THC and CBD at home or on the go!
The healing properties of honey and cannabis combine to form an incredible and easy to make tincture.
CBD Honey Sticks: What They Are And What You Need To Know
Honey is a delicious and nutritious food all by itself. But mix in a bit of CBD and you’ve got a tasty treat that is also a medicine. And what better way to take your medicine with you than in the form of easy-to-use CBD honey sticks.
In this article, the cannabis experts at Honest Marijuana tell you everything you need to know about CBD honey sticks and provide a step-by-step guide for making your own.
What Are CBD Honey Sticks?
CBD honey sticks (a.k.a. honey straws) are pretty much exactly what they sound like: straws filled with CBD honey that you can throw in your purse or backpack for an easy, on-the-go CBD treat.
There are actually two types of honey sticks: the liquid kind and the solid kind.
The solid kind is like a hard candy that you can suck on or stir into a hot beverage. The liquid kind is basically just CBD-infused honey in a sealed tube.
For the purposes of this article, we’ll deal with the “liquid” CBD honey straws because they have fewer additives and are often easier to find at your local dispensary.
How Do You Use CBD Honey Sticks?
You can use CBD honey in so many fun and delicious ways. Just exercise your imagination and we’re sure you’ll come up with your very own unique applications.
CBD honey sticks give you the option to take those fun, delicious, and unique methods on the road. That’s the beauty of the honey stick: it’s super portable.
Here are some simple ways to use CBD honey sticks at home or on the move:
- Cut open the straw and suck out the CBD honey for a quick and tasty treat
- Pour the CBD honey into your tea
- Drizzle it over your salad
- Mix it into your cereal or yogurt
- Apply the honey on your skin to reduce the pain of stings and burns
- Moisturize your lips
These suggestions are just the tip of the iceberg. Check out our article 22 Mind-Blowing Ways To Use CBD Honey for even more methods to put your sticks to good use.
Will CBD Honey Sticks Get You High?
When it comes to CBD products, this is what everyone wants to know. The quick answer is no.
They won’t get you high because they don’t contain the cannabinoid THC. THC is the chemical compound that is responsible for the psychedelic effects that make marijuana so famous (or infamous).
The honey in CBD honey sticks is made from high-CBD, low-THC strains so there’s no reason to worry that you’ll suddenly start feeling words or suffer from a case of the munchies.
What Are The Benefits?
The main benefit of the CBD honey sticks themselves (not the honey you ingest) is that they are extremely portable. You could carry around a container of CBD honey, but that gets bulky and heavy. CBD honey sticks are light, easy to use, and fit just about anywhere.
As for the honey in the CBD honey sticks, it offers a long list of benefits such as:
- Inhibits cancer cell growth
- Mediates psychotic disorders
- Suppresses seizure activity
- Combats anxiety and depression
- Relieves pain
- Reduces swelling
- Stimulates appetite
- Eases nausea
- Tempers neurodegenerative disorders
What Are The Side Effects?
The side effects of CBD honey sticks — like the benefits — come down to the CBD honey inside.
CBD only has two major side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Interference with your liver’s ability to break down other drugs
The first side effect isn’t really that big of a deal…especially if you’re taking CBD to manage pain or reduce seizures.
The second side effect may have serious repercussions for your health if you take a heart medication, a blood-sugar medication, or any type of drug that treats an ailment that CBD doesn’t.
Talk to your doctor before adding CBD honey sticks to your diet.
Can You Make Your Own CBD Honey Sticks?
Yes, you can. It takes a bit of work, but the end result is a convenient, high-quality CBD honey stick that you can take anywhere.
There are three main steps to the process:
- Decarboxylate your bud
- Cook the CBD honey
- Transfer the CBD honey into straws
We’ll deal with the first two in the next section.
DIY CBD Honey
Ingredients & Supplies
- Baking sheet
- Slow cooker
- 15 grams of your favorite marijuana
- 2 cups of honey (local, if possible)
- Cheesecloth (10” x 10” or larger)
- Quart canning jar with lid
As you can see, this recipe makes two cups of CBD honey. If you want to make less or more, mix with a ratio of seven grams of bud for every cup of honey.
- Decarboxylate your raw bud. This is an important step if you want to feel CBD’s full benefits. Check out our article Marijuana Decarboxylation: Why And How To Decarb Your Weed for detailed instructions.
- Wrap the 15 grams of decarboxylated cannabis in cheesecloth and tie it closed with a small piece of string.
- Place the cheesecloth in the quart jar.
- Pour 2 cups of local honey into the quart jar.
- Place the quart jar in your slow cooker.
- Pour enough water into the slow cooker so that it surrounds all the honey in the jar.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to LOW and cook for 8 hours.
- Check back every 2 or 3 hours to make sure the pressure in the jar isn’t building. Crack the lid slightly and then tighten it back down.
- After 8 hours, turn the slow cooker off and let the honey cool. You can leave the jar in the slow cooker or take it out (watch out, it’s hot!).
- When the honey is cool enough to touch, remove the cheesecloth from the jar and squeeze out as much of the golden goo as possible.
- Don’t discard that cheesecloth! Use it to flavor some weed tea.
- If you have the time, take advantage of the consistency of the warm honey and move on to making your own CBD honey sticks. If you’ve run out of time, and want to make the straws later, put a lid on the jar and store it in a cool dry place.
DIY CBD Honey Sticks
- Empty honey bear (the kind with the pointy spout is ideal)
- CBD honey
- 2 pairs of needle-nose pliers
- Small candle (any candle will work as long as you can easily get close to the flame)
- Paper towels (for sticky fingers and other cleanup)
- Pour your homemade CBD honey into the honey bear.
- Replace the lid. If you can’t find a honey bear with a pointy nozzle on top, there are videos online that show cool ways to use the flip-top honey bears.
- Place one end of a straw over the nozzle of the honey bear.
- Keeping a tight grip on the straw, squeeze your CBD honey into the tube.
- Leave about an inch of space between the honey and the open end of the straw.
- Keep pressure on the honey bear or the honey will be sucked back into the container.
- Pinch off the end of the straw that is on the honey bear nozzle and pull the honey bear out. Set the honey bear aside.
- If your honey is fairly thick, you can set the straw down on a level surface for a few minutes, but it will eventually run out.
- Light the candle.
- With one pair of needle-nose pliers, hold one end of the straw about ¼ of an inch from the opening. Keep the opposite end level or elevated.
- With your unoccupied hand, pick up the other pair of needle-nose pliers.
- Hold the straw close to the flame until the plastic begins to melt.
- Move the straw away from the flame and clamp down on the melted plastic with the other pair of pliers.
- Hold the pressure for a few seconds to make sure the plastic seals well.
- Repeat steps 10 through 14 on the other end of the straw.
That’s it! You’ve made your very own CBD honey stick. Make a few more of those, throw them in a Ziploc bag, and store them in your backpack, purse, or pocket for an on-the-go CBD treat.
Buy And Try Before You DIY
Before you put all the time and effort into making your own CBD honey and CBD honey sticks, we suggest buying the pre-made variety first. Visit your local dispensary or purchase from a reputable source online, and then see how often you actually use your CBD honey sticks.
Are they your new favorite way to ingest CBD? Or are they fun once in a while and not really worth the time, effort, or expense? Only you can answer those questions.
If you absolutely love the convenience of them and you’ve got some free time on your hands, try making your own.
Either way, CBD honey sticks are a fun and convenient method to get the medicine you need.
Want an easy way to take your CBD honey on the go? Try CBD honey sticks. We’ll tell you everything you need to know and give you a DIY recipe of your own.