The Best Marijuana Products for Cancer Symptoms
- Loss of appetite
Cannabis can help alleviate these symptoms without the harsh side effects of typical cancer medications.
For many people undergoing cancer treatment such as chemotherapy and radiation, the side effects are significant. They can experience all the symptoms listed above in addition to…
- Hair Loss
- Weight Loss
We have compiled a list of different symptoms you may be experiencing if you’re currently undergoing cancer treatment, and the best marijuana products for cancer patients that may help make your symptoms bearable and allow you to function closer to normal.
- Rick Simpson Oil.Unlike many alternative medicine oils that aid cancer symptoms, Rick Simpson Oil contains higher levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which offers the “high” that other oils do not. The combined physical and psychoactive effects create a more comprehensive result for a sedative-like approach that leads to increased healing potential, making it one of the best marijuana products for cancer symptoms.
- 2ACDC.If you want pain relief without the psychoactive effects of THC, the ACDC strain of cannabis delivers. With high levels of CBD and low THC content, this highly touted pain-relieving cannabis strain offering cancer patients the healing benefits of marijuana without the high.
- Northern Lights.Northern Lights is high in THC and low in CBD and offers a different kind of relief than ACDC. This strain calms the nerves and helps keep an upset stomach happy. This award-winning cannabis is one of the most potent forms of alternative medicine available for the effective relief of severe nausea symptoms due to cancer and cancer treatment.
- Granddaddy Purple.Granddaddy Purple is a good choice for an appetite stimulating, sleep inducing cannabis strain. Also helpful for those who need to gain weight, this classic Indica strain emits a sweet aroma of grapes and berries that can help stimulate an otherwise sleepy (or nonexistent) appetite. Just don’t plan on a lot of activity when using this strain to increase your appetite, as you’ll probably be heading for bed once your tummy is full.
- Chernobyl.The aroma of citrus can be very helpful in lifting mood, and the Chernobyl strain, offering a sweet, refreshing aroma of lemons and limes, can help energize your body and elevate your mood to help battle the effects of depression brought on by cancer treatment.
- Pineapple Express.If you love tropical fruit, the heady aromas in Pineapple Express will be a pleasant surprise. With pineapple, mango, and papaya aromas, this hybrid offers both energy and euphoria, a perfect combination for those suffering from the fatigue often associated with cancer symptoms and conventional cancer treatments.
Keep in mind that everybody will react to medication in a different manner, and the various cannabis strains listed above as alternative medicine for cancer will therefore have various degrees of effectiveness for each person. Our recommendations on the best marijuana for cancer symptoms are based on current research, anecdotal information, industry knowledge and experience. Life Flower Dispensary medical and recreational marijuana dispensary is proud to offer our customers the highest quality organic cannabis flowers, concentrates, and edibles for your best possible health and quality of life.
Life Flower Dispensary is a recreational and medical dispensary open late in Denver and Glendale for your shopping convenience. You can visit us from 8:00 a.m. to midnight for all your recreational marijuana needs (customers must be 21 years of age or older), and our medical patients 18 years of age and older with valid medical cards are also welcomed to come and shop during those hours. Located just minutes from downtown Denver and Denver International Airport, the friendly, caring staff at Life Flower Dispensary is here to serve all your medical and recreational marijuana needs seven days a week.
We are a local business growing and selling organic cannabis using amended soil and natural-organic components to provide our customers with optimal flavor, potency, and organic quality cannabis products for medicinal and recreational use. We use only the safest and cleanest organic methods to produce the highest quality products available.
Using alternative medicine for cancer symptoms can ease the struggle. Our team has expert recommendations for the best marijuana for cancer patients!
The Best Cannabis Strains to Combat Chemotherapy Side Effects
Saturday May 4, 2019
T hough still federally illegal due to its Schedule I status, cannabis is widely used to help treat many medical conditions including cancer and the side effects of its treatment. Advocates for cannabis reform often cite the benefit to cancer patients which go well beyond the head high that is typically associated with marijuana consumption. In fact, cannabis can improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy – and minimize those nasty side effects – in many exciting ways.
How Cannabis Helps with Chemo
Chemotherapy is a process that uses special drugs to kill cells in the body before they split and spread. They can be ingested in a few ways – pills, shots, or an IV, for example – with the intention of stopping the spread of cancerous cells before they get out of control. The problem is that chemo targets all cells (including healthy ones) which can cause major damage and discomfort in patients. The side effects of chemotherapy can be devastating including things like hair loss, nausea and fatigue. Chemo patients also often suffer from depression due to the uncertainty of their condition which can exacerbate the negative side effects of chemotherapy.
Cannabis can effectively address many of these symptoms including pain, inflammation, nausea, appetite loss, and depression.
Cannabinoids like THC and CBD work synergistically with each other and alongside cancer treatments to improve the outcome of cancer therapy and make the process much more bearable along the way. Research also shows that cannabis slows (and even reverses) cancer cell growth while leaving surrounding healthy cells untouched, though the exact mechanisms through which this happens are still being studied.
Best Marijuana Strains for Chemotherapy
Not all cannabis strains are created equal. Expert breeders spend years perfecting strains to deliver the best results with the fewest undesirable qualities. The result has been an influx of potent cannabis strains tailored to the consumer and his specific needs. Those who want to treat the side effects of chemo with cannabis should therefore focus on strains developed for the medical community and their own personal preferences. Here is a list of our top seven strains for chemotherapy.
1. Good Medicine: Topping our list is a strain aptly named Good Medicine. The strain was specifically developed as a medicinal strain with a THC:CBD ratio of 1:1 and a high CBN content (which makes this strain very sedating). Unlike other high-CBD strains, this strain boasts a flavorful mixture of fruit and musk. Good Medicine is a strain best used for the treatment of pain, nausea and sleeplessness.
2. ACDC: Though the band AC/DC is typically considered a “hard rock” group, the strain ACDC is most certainly not. Rather, ACDC is a mellow sativa strain containing only trace amounts of THC and a substantially higher amount of CBD. The intoxicating effects of ACDC are minor, making this strain ideal for novice consumers looking to treat symptoms like pain, nausea and neuropathic discomfort.
3. Blue Dream: Blue Dream is a popular strain among both the medical and recreational communities. Known for its distinctive blueberry flavor and invigorating buzz, this Northern California native is great for relieving pain and promoting deep muscle relaxation. Though somewhat speedy at first, the effects of Blue Dream level off within the first hour resulting in a relaxed, pain-free state. Blue Dream is best used to treat pain and nausea without interfering with menial tasks throughout the day.
4. Mental Floss #3: As the name suggests, Mental Floss #3 is a sativa strain that gives the brain a buzz. Though its analgesic and antiemetic properties are apparent throughout the high (which sets in rather quickly, we might add), it is the invigorating “head high” that sets this strain apart from the rest. We suggest using Mental Floss #3 to combat anxiety and depression, and for a boost of motivation when need be, as well.
5. Northern Lights: Northern Lights is a popular strain among growers for it’s ease of cultivation (and resistance to pests) but it is its therapeutic qualities that have consumers flocking to the stores. Capable of treating most of the side effects of chemo including pain, sleeplessness, depression and nausea, this pure indica strain will leave its consumers happy and hungry, albeit a bit too sleepy for daytime activities.
6. Grand Daddy Purps: Known for its powerful head-and-body high and amazing grape flavor, Grand Daddy Purps is a go-to strain for anyone experiencing a case of the crummies. The indica dominant hybrid is a cross between Purple Urkle and Big Bud, and can effectively treat things like pain, nausea, insomnia, weight loss, and stress, though its concentrated form may result in a mean case of couch-lock, as well.
7. Romulan X Chemo: Romulan X Chemo is a powerful strain reserved primarily for medical patients. The indica-dominant hybrid hits hard and fast, leaving its users pain-free and ready for slumber almost immediately. Those who don’t fall asleep right away may find themselves drawn to the refrigerator as this strain is great for appetite stimulation, as well.
A cancer diagnosis is never welcome but when it occurs, there are steps that can be taken to make recovery so much easier. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer and is about to undergo traditional cancer treatments like chemotherapy, cannabis may be an excellent way to increase the odds of success and safely put the body into remission.
Have you used cannabis to treat the side effects of chemo? We’d love to hear about your experience.
Abby is a writer and founder of Cannabis Content, a marketplace designed to connect cannabis writers and creatives with businesses in the industry. She has been a professional cannabis writer since 2014 and regularly contributes to publications such as PotGuide and M&F Talent. She is also the Content Director at Fortuna Hemp, America’s leading feminized hemp seed bank. Follow Abby on Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin.
Cannabis and cancer have an interesting relationship. While there hasn't been enough research to say for sure, there are many strains that have been shown to help people battling cancer. Learn more about the best strains to aid in the side effects of chemotherapy and cancer related treatment.